The Strategic Communications Director reports to the CEO and works closely with all staff to develop integrated communications ideas, networks, and overarching directions for the organization in order to more effectively realize Vitalyst’s mission. This position will help to develop a wide range of approaches to convey compelling equity-centered narratives and have a deep understanding of how to work with nonprofit and business organizations, government agencies, and underserved groups statewide. Capabilities include: Strong strategic thinking; a high-level understanding of audience segmentation and messaging, outstanding writing, editing, social media and media relations expertise, project management skills and the ability to thrive as part of a team while working independently. The ideal candidate will also possess highly-developed storytelling, group facilitation, and persuasive presentation skills; strong empathic thinking; and experience in and discipline for “connecting the dots.” This person will also have experience holding an equity lens in communications and programmatic work, focused on addressing disparities.
• This role serves as “connective tissue” for emergent ideas and strategic directions that are then developed as new pathways for Vitalyst strategies, stakeholder engagement, and programmatic investment.
• This role partners closely with senior leadership on all aspects of strategic direction, programmatic spending, consensus organizational strategy, and ensuring adherence to organizational goals, objectives, and values.
• This role is responsible for all aspects of the Vitalyst positioning and brand in all of its forms and manifestations. The Director is responsible for Vitalyst’s brand voice, position, personality, and tone.
• This role further develops and implements all internal and external communications strategies and tactics that further Vitalyst’s mission, including web destination sites (Vitalyst, TAPAZ, CoverAZ, etc.), social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.), public relations/earned media, print media advertising, digital media (podcasting, etc.), publications, event facilitation, etc.
• This role further ensures that all Vitalyst and key partner programs, conferences, meetings, and publications: (1) appropriately reflect Vitalyst’s brand, voice, and positioning; (2) effectively reach their intended audiences; and (3) generate the intended return on social investment relative to Vitalyst's mission and goals.
• Development and evolution of Vitalyst’s overarching approach, through branding and major communication initiatives. • Cultivation of partnerships, collaborations and alliances that further Vitalyst’s initiatives and strategies.
• Distillation, positioning, framing, design and presentation of Vitalyst’s broader strategies, short- and long-term goals, and underlying communications.
• Ensuring that Vitalyst’s values, principles, tone/personality are consistently and relevantly communicated throughout the organization and through all platforms – among allies and into the wider community.
• Working with a contracted public relations firm, develops and maintains all communications vehicles and channels (platforms, software, hardware, tools, design resources, etc.).
• Working with a contracted graphic design, coordinate design, production and promotion of relevant issue briefs, policy primers and research findings. • Developing and executing media relations and related strategies and tactics that frame, inform, advocate and motivate policy, systems and environmental change in keeping with Vitalyst’s goals.
• Leading various programmatic work to support the inter-relationships of the elements of healthy community building.
Desired Competencies (Knowledge, Skills and Capacity)
• Experience working directly in marketing, PR or Communications • Experience working in underserved communities
• Experience with all media channels, including podcasting • Ability to utilize an equity analysis/lens in all communications outputs
• Experience managing a media relations firm • Excellent analytical, problem-solving and strategic thinking skills
• Bi-lingual in Spanish would be preferred Minimum Qualifications - Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing or closely related field and 5 years of related experience; OR, any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved. Salary and Benefits: Competitive Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Careers@VitalystHealth.org. Job will remain open until filled.