Our Role in Public Policy
We support public policies that contribute to a sound economy, promote economic well-being and quality of life for all residents, protect vulnerable populations and encourage civic engagement. And while Arizona’s philanthropic sector invests significant resources to improve our communities, our role is to supplement and not supplant federal, state and local funding for education and human services. In that spirit, Arizona Grantmakers encourages policymakers to engage philanthropic leaders and grantmakers as partners in addressing public policy issues.
The following policy principles guide our leadership in the public policy arena:
- Arizona Grantmakers supports public policies that advance equity toward our vision of a vibrant Arizona where all people thrive
- Arizona Grantmakers favors public policies that promote philanthropy, encourage charitable giving and advance the nonprofit sector
- Arizona Grantmakers supports legislative and regulatory policies that enhance the ability of philanthropies to carry out their charitable activities
- Arizona Grantmakers supports reasonable and effective public accountability of the philanthropic sector
2021 Public Policy Priorities
Arizona Grantmakers’ public policy agenda was informed in part by ongoing discussions among member philanthropic organizations, the nonprofit organizations they fund and the constituents they serve, and reflects issues we anticipate policymakers will likely consider in 2021. Priorities are equally weighted and broad-based, affecting many Arizona Grantmakers members.
Priority 1: Stewardship of Arizona’s Financial Resources
Arizona Grantmakers supports state and federal fiscal policies that provide levels of resources for education, health and human services and public infrastructure that are necessary for Arizona’s long-term economic growth and quality of life. Priorities include:
- 2-1-1 Funding – Arizona Grantmakers supports sustained state funding for the 2-1-1 three-digit dialing telephone number at an amount that optimizes program efficiencies and 24/7 live-answer access to information and referrals for health and human services.
- Affordable Housing – Arizona Grantmakers supports restoration of the Arizona Housing Trust Fund and state funding and other policy initiatives aimed at promoting affordable housing.
Priority 2: Preserving and Strengthening Arizona’s Nonprofit & Philanthropic Community
- Tax-Exempt Status – Arizona Grantmakers supports the exemption of nonprofit corporations from corporate income and property taxes at federal, state and local levels of government. Arizona Grantmakers opposes the elimination of nonprofits’ tax-exempt status and the imposition of fees and taxes on nonprofit corporations.
- Charitable Giving – Arizona Grantmakers supports tax policies that incentivize charitable giving. Arizona Grantmakers supports Arizona’s charitable organization tax credit to encourage significant community support for nonprofits serving the state’s most vulnerable populations. Arizona Grantmakers supports federal and state charitable deductions and policies that make them available to all taxpayers. We oppose efforts to eliminate or limit such tax incentives that would reduce the level of contributed income for nonprofit organizations.
- Nonprofit Nonpartisanship – Arizona Grantmakers supports the Johnson Amendment, current federal law that prohibits 501(c) (3) organizations from endorsing, opposing or contributing to political candidates and engaging in partisan campaign activities. Arizona Grantmakers opposes proposals to repeal or weaken the prohibition.
- Nonprofit Indirect Costs – Arizona Grantmakers supports state and local government agencies’ compliance with the federal Office of Management and Budget Uniform Guidance on reimbursement of nonprofit grantees’ indirect costs.
Priority 3: Protecting Vulnerable Populations
- Child Safety and Well-Being – Arizona Grantmakers supports state policies that strengthen families including investments in prevention and in-home services.
- Safety Net – Arizona Grantmakers supports policies that maintain and enhance safety-net programs that support low-income residents. Arizona Grantmakers supports preserving states’ flexibility in designing safety-net programs to protect their most vulnerable populations.
- Homelessness – Arizona Grantmakers supports state investments in quality housing and support services for people experiencing homelessness.
Priority 4: Supporting Quality Education
Arizona Grantmakers supports adequate and equitable funding for early childhood, K-12 and post-secondary education and policies that ensure that every Arizona child graduates from high school prepared for college and career. Arizona Grantmakers supports investments in education that ensure a well-prepared workforce to support Arizona’s long-term economic growth.
Priority 5: Preserving Community Health
Arizona Grantmakers supports evidence-based health practices and policies that preserve access to quality care and health care coverage.
Priority 6: Advancing Equity
Arizona Grantmakers supports policy solutions that promote equity to ensure that no Arizonan is advantaged or disadvantaged based on race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, ability or sexual orientation.
View Arizona Grantmakers’ past public policy agendas below: